What Is TMJ?
We all have a TMJ, or temporomandibular joint, on either side of our head. It is the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw to the skull. When this joint becomes inflamed, it can cause numerous painful symptoms, including:
- Jaw pain and pain in the face, neck, shoulders, or ears when speaking, yawning, or chewing
- Jaw gets stuck when opened or closed
- Unable to open the mouth widely
- Chronic headaches or neck aches
- Popping or clicking noises in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth